Because of its location and access to resources, both human and natural, Oklahoma has unmatched opportunity to grow the economy, promote innovation and create new jobs while protecting the planet for future generations. This is especially true in the energy field, where Oklahoma has long been a leader. Capitalizing on existing resources and developing new forms of energy generation, Oklahoma must continue to evolve as a leader in our nation and the world energy market.
We need new and continued investment, business and regulatory models for a new age. The business models that brought us into the 21st century are no longer the standard models and this is evident in some of the revolutionary techniques for natural gas exploration as developed by Oklahoma-based companies. Through individuals, businesses and government working together, Oklahoma can develop and implement new models and a new energy paradigm to guide our State and our Nation for the next century ahead. We have the opportunity, and even the calling, to be on the forefront in creating a safer, brighter and greener future for ourselves and generations to come.
Oklahoma has come a long way since the land runs of the late 19th century. With globalization, increased demand for energy and the growing need for innovation in business and government, Oklahoma can be a shining light to other states and countries by creating an environment that applauds, encourages and rewards energy innovation and development through oil and natural gas and alternative energy sources. This approach encourages business development, creation of new jobs and requires our sons and daughters to obtain as much education as possible so they can be part of the solution to the State's energy needs as we move farther into the 21st century.
Some of the significant issues confronting me as your Corporation Commissioner are:
- Affordable-Reliable Power - We need to ensure Oklahoma maintains the most affordable and reliable power in America to meet the needs of rural and urban Oklahomans and to continue to grow and encourage business throughout the State.
- Oklahoma Resources - Continue to make the highest, most efficient use of Oklahoma 's valuable resources which includes not just oil and gas, but wind, hydro, bio-fuels, solar and other evolving fuel sources.
- Openness and Transparency - Provide greater access and more information to the public about issues being decided by the Commission. This includes taking greater advantage of the Internet for information dissemination and for allowing energy providers and others to conduct more Commission business using this technology. The Commission needs to advance further to becoming a more paperless agency where access to information is easily and readily available to the publi
- Future - Maintain an environment in our state that is friendly to all forms of energy. I will work to encourage development of all types of energy resources and encourage innovation in energy creation.
- Education, Coordination and Cooperation - I have worked with energy providers, business and civic leaders to encourage Oklahomans to conserve energy whenever possible in government, business and in our homes. All of which has resulted in a significant savings for Oklahoma taxpayers.
Issues of this importance for Oklahoma's future require the most experienced, qualified and knowledgeable individuals with a great blend of academic, legal and business credentials. As a geologist, oil and gas attorney and former OCC Administrative Law Judge with both a rural and urban background, I hope you agree that I should be re-elected as your Corporation Commissioner.